Monday, March 10, 2014

Ah, Reading...

I read an entire book this weekend.  If you've known me very long, that probably doesn't really surprise you.  I used to be an avid reader.  I remember many nights staying up too late reading just a little bit more.  I skipped a class to finish the Harry Potter series.  I've ready Literature and indulgent trash.  I have always thought of myself as a reader.

Last year, I read 10 books that weren't work or class related.  10!!  I was so disappointed.  I turned to my Goodreads account and looked at my "To Read" list an decided to make a commitment (again) to read again.  I started well.  I used my Nook, which allowed me to pick up any number of tablet devices and read.  I finished a book about finances in a day or so.  I was in the groove.  I started reading The Book Thief and I really liked it.  But, then the battery to my Nook died, or I'd start to read and RT would take away my device to play with it. 

The other day, I went to Barnes and Noble, dangerously located across the street from my work, to get a book and a puzzle for RT.  I saw a thick beachy paperback.  I bought it for myself.  I read it over the weekend.  I feel energized.  I started another book last night.  I want to pick it up anytime I have a few minutes.  It hit me yesterday--I love reading, yes, but I love reading BOOKS!  As much as I want to love e-readers, I don't.

So, after we move, I'll find the closest library and get my first library card, not counting school cards, in years and years.  I have a long list of books to read.  I have my parents to supply me with second hand books.  I'll have the space to store them all.  Books, books, books...yes, please!  I am so happy with this revelation.

Tonight, I'll take a couple minutes to read Barbara Kingsolver's book on food.  And, I will enjoy every minute of it!

No comments: