Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Birthdays

I just sent my granddaughter Delaney's birthday gift.  It is already two weeks late and won't likely get there for another week.  I have lots of excuses as to why it is late, good excuses.  I loved picking out the gift and shipping it to her.  I hope she loves it.  But, it has me thinking about birthdays.

My birthday is over four months away.  And, for the first time in my life, I don't want to celebrate it.  I want to work and have dinner at home with my husband and son.  I've lost my love/zeal for birthdays.  I don't know if it is a side-effect of motherhood, or if my last couple of birthdays have been disappointing, but I just don't care about them anymore. 

When I think a bit harder about it, it really stems from the loss of my grandparents.  My parents and sister have always made my birthdays special.  But, there was something about those cards and hugs from my grandparents.  I still have a small collection of birthday cards from Grandma Schmid and Grandpa Kristianson.  They made my birthdays special.  And I miss them, and all my grandparents, all the time.

So, if your birthday is coming up and I only get you a Facebook post or a text saying "Happy Birthday" enjoy that!  I'm not giving them up totally.  I'm just not as on top of birthdays as I've been in the past. 

My birthday is in June and one of my former friends once stated in May, "It must be time for Target to display your birthday decorations."  I think that time has come and gone for me.  Birthdays are just another day!

No comments: