Monday, February 23, 2009

The Oscars and the Future

If you know me at all, you know where I was last night, planted in front of the television watching my favorite show of the year, The Academy Awards. As always, I had tears in my eyes from the beginning. It was a difficult year with Heath Ledger's Oscar winning performance and his death. His parents and his sister were gracious and lovely and I realize that his talent possessed unlimited potential, but he is gone. The in memorium section was also sad, I forget some of the people and feel sad again remembering, Michael Crichton, Bernie Mac, Sidney Pollack and Paul Newman to name a few. I was thrilled with all the wins for Slumdog Millionaire. I loved Penelope Cruz in Vicky Cristina Barcelona and was happy for her win. When it came to the actor and actress categories, I hadn't seen any of the films, so I could only hope for my favorites, and both won. I have loved Kate Winslet since Titanic and I think Sean Penn is the ultimate balance of talent, social advocate and need for a private life. I was moved by his speech. I love the end with everyone involved with Slumdog Millionaire on stage...that's the way it should be, a celebration of all involved! I loved it.

The future has been weighing on our minds. With Roger interviewing for positions, I am fairly sure we will have a place to go this fall. I got my rejection letter from the Syracuse PhD program, which is disappointing, but not that bad. I had already decided to pursue a second Master's Degree in English Education. I have several applications for this field out scattered all over the country, kind of covering our bases. I realize my love is not the research and the academic pursuits, but the teaching and connecting with the students. I think the route of licensure and teacher preparation will aid me in my ultimate goal of affecting students on a basic level. I really got a charge when my students connected with what I was saying and progressed throughout the semester...I saw them learn and loved it!

I'll still be finishing my thesis and receive my Master of Arts degree from ODU in May. I just think I've found the best fit for my future. Now, I just need to know where...wish us luck!

No comments: