Tuesday, November 18, 2008

In Perspective

Winter appears to be here. It feels so cold outside to me. I realize that 40 degrees with a wind chill in the 30s is not cold to my family in North Dakota and Minnesota, but it is cold to me. I've lived in Virginia for over 7 years and have acclamated to its climate. The HOT summers don't bother me and the mild winters seem cold to me. So, from my perspective, it is cold.

I'm working on an abstract to apply for an International Studies Conference here at Old Dominion in February. I am trying to gain experience in presenting scholarship. It is exciting and scary at the same time. I have no problem speaking in front of my students as a teacher, or speaking to my other classes as a student, but a presentation to strangers...argh! That is scary. I realize the more I do it, the better I will become at it. In two days, I am in a panel presenting strategies for student success as a graduate student. There are so many ways to fail, but so many opportunities to succeed. I hope that the other 3 women, along with myself, can lessen any fears students have about applying to graduate school. Armed with the right tools, graduate school is defintely do-able.

Well, off to class. Love those German films.

No comments: