Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Tidings of Comfort and Joy


As I get into the swing of this holiday season, I realize it is not like any other year.  This holiday season is filled with moments of grief and sadness mixed in with joy and excitement.  It's not simple this year.

Though I am not religious, this time of year I enjoy singing along to all kinds of holiday music, including "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen."  The line...Tidings of Comfort and Joy...ring true this year more than ever.

My niece Maggie, who passed away in October, had the middle name, "Joy."  I feel the best way for me and my family to honor her this holiday season is to spread joy-to RT, to family, to everyone.  Sometimes it is hard to spread the joy, or even to feel joy myself.  That is when the comfort part of the song comes to mind.  When I find myself crying missing my niece, I take comfort in my family and in the fact that I knew Maggie, that I loved her.

When I find myself caught up in the shopping and planning of the season, I have been taking pauses to remind myself that holidays should be about loved ones.  I find my comfort and my joy in the life I have now.

I miss Maggie; I will miss her most on Christmas Eve.  She is a great planner and a wonderful cook and fun to be around.  Her absence will be missed by all of us.  But, hopefully we will find some comfort in each other and in keeping with traditions and that we will experience joy in the season and the celebration.

This holiday season, I wish you all Comfort and Joy.

No comments: