Monday, December 30, 2013

Reflections of 2013...and Looking Forward to 2014


2013 has been quite a year.  Our family has dealt with so much and has come out smiling each time.

One of my favorite things about 2013 is that we didn’t move!  Our apartment is far from ideal and Roger still has to schlep to the Laundromat every week, but it is large enough and we’ve made it pretty cozy.  It is often messy and cluttered (but clean thanks to Roger) and full of love and laughs, and even a few tears.  Cookie continues to be the fat kitty without the stairs to run up and down.  Tessa enjoys the new bathmat under the heat vent.  Our home is pretty good.

2013 has also been the year of the baby girl.  Three of my friends and one of my cousins had baby girls this year.  It has been fun to see the downstairs neighbor grow and see the others on Facebook.  The cuteness of the girls’ faces and the adorable outfits, have me happy to see the girls, but I am forever grateful and happy that I have my little boy.

My little boy, who is not so little anymore, continues to give my life new meaning.  I find myself drawn to his smile and I long to hear his sweet giggles.  Somehow he went from baby to little boy this past year.  He has battled viruses and asthma; he had ear tubes replaced.  He is flourishing.  His language skills continue to improved daily.  I think he grows inches daily, too.  I enjoy looking into his face and seeing the marriage of my family with Roger’s family.  He is definitely a Skophammer boy, but he is also a Kristianson and a Schmid.  He loves to help his mommy and daddy with any project.  He loves to build things and tear them down.  He loves trains and cars and Charlie Brown.  He has mastered the iPad and we need to go to him when we need help!  He is a delight on the train and in the car.  I cannot ever imagine a life without him. 

My job has stayed the same.  I enjoy working for Northeastern and with my teams.  I work with good people and have made some nice friendships.  I love the short commute time and I am able to spend at least a few minutes outside every day, which I love.  I walk and walk all over this city.  I do manage to drive to a few places, very few places.  I love Boston and feel like it is home.

Roger had the biggest change this year.  For a number of reasons, he left the Museum of Science and stays home with RT.  He has begun a new job where he works from home and is enjoying the challenges and the opportunities to both work and stay home with RT.  RT does still go to school twice a week, giving Roger some needed quiet time at home to work.  After the holidays are over (so on Wednesday!) we will be rearranging our apartment to make space for Roger’s home office.  We can do it, though it may be tight.  I think secretly, or not so secretly, that Roger just really loves rearranging furniture!  Maybe he isn’t so happy we didn’t move last year!

Looking forward, I have decided to adopt a theme for 2014.  2014 will be a year of gratitude for me.  I often find myself longing for what I don’t have and want to take the next year and make it a priority to be thankful for what I do have, which is a lot!    I think I’ll start the new year being thankful for warm coats—it’s going to be COLD!

I hope that when you all look back on 2013, you find much joy, as we have.  Happy New Year!

No comments: