Monday, August 27, 2012

Ups and Downs

This past weekend was full of ups and downs.  Overall, it was a tough one.

It started out great.  RT and I met Roger and his coworkers at a nice restaurant/bar and sat on a great patio.  I had a Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA (my favorite) and talked with some of Roger's coworkers and their significant others.  And then, the best part, we were joined by Dawn!!  Yeah!!  She flew to Boston to help her son, Josh, get ready to move into the dorms at Boston University today.  She and I had a great time talking and catching up.   Roger took RT home early so I could hang out longer.  My food sucked, but the rest of the night was almost perfect!

Saturday, Roger and I planned to take RT to the North End to walk around.  I got up early and checked my Facebook, as I do most mornings.  I was shocked to see that a woman I was in high school with had died.  She had battled a horrible disease and suffered many, many brain tumors for quite sometime.  I had heard she was not doing well, but was not prepared for the news of her death.  It wasn't just the news, it was the way I learned about it.  Our mutual friends posted notes to her, like RIP and You Will Be Missed, to her Facebook page.  It was unsettling to me.  I understand their wanting to say goodbye, to acknowledge her life and her death.  It just hit me wrong.  She was two years older than I am.  I had a difficult morning dealing with all of it.

We did hit the North End.  We had a great time exploring and had some awesome seafood, thanks to Salty Dog.  I love the clams and the cocktails and the oysters and Roger's bloody mary.  It was a tasty treat on a Saturday afternoon.

We got a bunch of organizing and cleaning done and formulated a plan for the rest of the apartment.  It will be nice to get comfortable here.  It has been a slow process.  The two flights of stairs haven't helped.  We are off to Ikea soon for the last pieces of organization!

Last night, we enjoyed some pizza, a couple games of cribbage and some mindless television.  I was (and am) still sad, but am moving on with life.  What else can I do?

As always, life is full of ups and downs.  We just have to deal with our feelings and roll with life.

I will miss Colleen's uplifting messages on Facebook.  She was always such a positive woman.  I know she will be missed by so many.  I will miss her, too.

No comments: