Monday, June 20, 2011

Songs for a Funeral

On Facebook, I have been doing the 30 Day Song Challenge. Today's challenge was to find a song for my funeral. First of all, I don't really like funerals and hope that my family won't have a traditional funeral for me. I prefer wakes where everyone tells stories and celebrates life, and imbibes in a few beers. The challenge has made me ponder what songs I would want played for my wake. I've come up with a few. If you click on the titles, you will be taken to YouTube to see the video I've chosen.

The one I chose for the Facebook challenge was I Will Remember You by Sarah McLachlan.

Then a high school friend reminded me that I once stated I wanted One Night In Bangkok by Murray Head played at my funeral. I like that!

Then I was thinking about the film The Big Chill and a discussion with my dad and want the Rolling Stones You Can't Always Get What You Want played. (The link is in Spanish, but the song is in English)

I thought what is life, and remembered that Life is a Highway by Tom Cochrane. That fits with the journey post from last week.

Then, who wants to be forgotten? Not me, so Glass Tiger's 1980's hit Don't Forget Me When I'm Gone must be added!

And, it's a wake, so there should be drinking and fun, so Chumbawumba's Tubthumping will remind everyone to do just that!

And then, as if YouTube could read my mind and knew exactly what I was doing, they suggested I try Funeral Party's song Finale. It's not my favorite, but I had to add it because the internet told me to.

So, my sendoff should be a bunch of fun, at least music wise. What songs do you want played?

No comments: