Monday, June 27, 2011

Home Is...

I've had a lot of time to think about the notion of home. It started a few weeks ago when Roger and I were talking about what we wanted to do for our family this next school year. We discussed my staying at home and taking some classes; that was the easy part. Where we would live prompted the larger discussion. The classes I would take are online, so we could have stayed in Valley City. But, I wanted to keep the cats, have a dishwasher and washer and dryer. I wanted to not have anyone above us. I want to be near coffee shops and friends and family. Valley City is a nice town, and I've made some friends in town, but it has never felt like home. I want home.

We attended Olga's funeral where the minister weaved Olga's desire to be home throughout the sermon. He did a nice job sharing Olga's cooking and welcoming as part of home for her. It resonated with me. I want that home...where I can cook and welcome friends and family and enjoy myself. We found a townhouse in West Fargo and it is exactly what we need. It is nothing that we normally want. It is all white and contemporary...not much character. But, it has a dishwasher, washer and dryer and a den, and a two car garage. And, right now I can't wait to move in.

The most difficult thoughts about home I've been dealing with is the fact that my parent's home is under water. The flood in Minot is devastating for so many people. Luckily, my parents have good friends with large garages. They have been fortunate. That doesn't negate the mourning they are going through in the loss of their home. They have put hours and money into that house. They have been working for 14 years to make it exactly what they want. My dad retires in a few years and my parents had been thinking of a move after retirement, but that was on their own terms. This is not. My parents will likely not move back to their house, even if it is salvageable. Minot has had a housing shortage for a couple years. And with 10,000 people looking for alternate housing, there will be a BIG mess when it comes to housing. Yes, FEMA trailers are on their way, but are they home? Not likely. I'd like my parents to move to Fargo, to be closer to me and RT. But, they need to retire when it is time. That leaves a couple of years to figure out. They will. I am sad for them and for many, many friends from high school. I can't believe this is happening.

Roger, RT and I are moving toward home. Of course, home for me is wherever they are. Roger, RT and the cats are my home. I'm just looking forward to having modern conveniences! Home is where we make it...

No comments: