Friday, September 10, 2010

Autumn

North Dakota is in the beginning stages of autumn. The leaves are showing signs of changing colors soon. The temperatures are dipping into the upper-30s at night. When the sun is out, it feels so warm and welcoming. And when it rains, it rains a lot!

I have always loved the fall. I love the crispness in the air and the smell of fires burning. I missed that in Virginia. The leaves change colors, but everything just seems damp all the time. Fires didn't really start until winter in Virginia. It was necessary.

We cuddle up to watch TV in thermal and flannel jammies under fleece blankets. I wake up with a cold nose, and a smile on my face. I have been transported to the autumns of my youth in North Dakota.

I try not to think about the winter that is coming, but delight in hearing, "I heard it might snow next week!" and knowing that it will melt immediately, and sunny warm days will keep coming...

No comments: