Sunday, January 18, 2009

A Book and A Movie

I have two texts competing for thought in my brain. I finished a book last night after watching a film. Both were wonderful and powerful...I love my time to read and watch movies.

The Book--Q & A, which is the basis for the film Slumdog Millionaire. The book was funny and poignant. It looks at interesting and unique connections in life. It made me laugh and had a great ending. I am looking forward to seeing the movie, but maybe after Roger reads the book. I highly recommend the book...it is easy to read and provides lots of pleasure.

The Film--Grace is Gone, which is not funny, at all. John Cusak stars as a husband and father. His wife, Grace, is fighting in Iraq and is killed. The story unfolds of how Cusak deals with his grief and telling his 2 daughters (8 and 12 years old). It's low budget feel makes it seem closer to real life. It is quite raw and leaves the audience pensive. It is great if you want to see a family deal with contemporary problems with war, in a quiet, introspective way.

I can't stop thinking about both. Luckily, later today will be some NFL playoffs, which will erase all thought about films and books and just provide entertainment. I am rooting for the NFC this year and would like the Eagles, but will be content with the Cardinals (I still cringe at the thought of seeing Kurt Warner's creepy wife on the screen like last time he was in the Super Bowl). I don't want the Ravens in, so I'll be cheering for the Steelers this week, but the NFC champ in two weeks. Happy football day!

No comments: