Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Cooking, Summer Institute and Women Writers

I love cooking. I have been cooking the past week or so for Roger and it has been fun. I like to plan meals that I know he will like and I love to cook. I can make hot dogs better by frying them with carmelized onions. I made crabcakes without any wheat, which were actually quite good. I am making pizza tonight, with a polenta crust so Roger can actually eat it. I never thought I would be the kind of wife that would enjoy nurturing and taking care of my husband, but I relish every moment. And, I get the appreciation from Roger which is special. He has taken care of himself for so long, I think he kind of likes being taken care of sometimes.

Roger is in the midst of Summer Institute for his PhD. He seems to like the comraderie of having his classmates from all over the country physically in Virginia in class. He probably doesn't like the workload, but hey, its only for 2 weeks. This weekend some of the younger guys from the program want to find a place for a few beers, so I guess we will be going to Sully's.

I am in week 3 of my Women Writers course. Thankfully, we are done with the pretentious and snobby Virginia Woolf. She may have pioneered the study of women writers, but she sure did it in the most haughty of ways. I guess if you don't get paid to write, you don't count. I found it sad that she didn't believe that the literature by those who wrote not for money was not worth studying. I find that the Modernists were a pompous group of asses. I have read T.S. Eliot, James Joyce and more of Virginia Woolf. At first I enjoyed the challenge of tearing the pieces apart to find the meaning, but then after finding there is no meaning and being told my life is worthless, I decided to abandon them all. If all of life is a Wasteland then why bother? Because I love my life now. I wouldn't give it up for anything.

No comments: