Monday, March 12, 2007

Family

After getting married I have had to re-evaluate the meaning of family. Mom & Dad have always been my family. Nikki has been my family for almost 32 years. My Aunts, Karen, Darlene, Maxine, Susie/Evelyn, Wix and many Great Aunts and Uncles, Harvey, Bill, Larry, Buddy, Bob and Uncle Frank along with many Great Uncles, Grandparents, Helmer and Sadie/Olga and Robert and Agnes, and Cousins have been my family for as long as I can remember. Mittens, my cat for 18 years, and Lacie, my cat for 16 years, as well as Fast Eddie, Sudan, BBC, Chico, Sadie, Sebastian, Harry & Lizzie (all cats I've had over the years) have been my family. In Fargo, Joel & Karen, Pat & Jim & Christine...friends who became family. In Virginia I consider Andrea & Brad, Tiff & Jarrod, Doug, Mike, Fran & Jim, Dawn & Josh, Melanie and many others at times part of my family. I always thought I understood family, there is the one I was born with and the one I chose. Family is a fluid concept. When I married Roger I grew a family. I have a father-in-law, Papa Roger, a step-daughter, Elise, a granddaughter, Cassie, and sisters and brothers in law, nephews and nieces and more animals to learn the names of and love. I strive to learn my new families names, important dates, interests, likes & dislikes, as much as I possibly can so that they and I will feel like a family. I await my wedding in August when most of my families will get together. My joy will be in blending my families into FAMILY.

No comments: