Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wanna Get Pregnant?

Evidently, if you want to get pregnant, you should move to Valley City, North Dakota. It is quite interesting how many pregnant women there are just on this campus.

I just talked with a student who is due today. She said her back hurts, but she hasn't felt any contractions. She's headed to Fargo this afternoon to see her nurse midwife. She's hoping to deliver today or tomorrow. I know of 4 other students in various stages of pregnancy. I think most are due before school lets out in May. It is hard enough to go through this as faculty; it must be extremely difficult as a student.

There are at least 5 staff members expecting. Three of them are due in April. It has been fun to see them as their bodies change and they prepare to greet their daughters (I think all three are having girls). They are spaced out by 7-10 days. April should be pretty exciting around here. Two other staff members are due in the fall. They are getting together an aquasize class...I am hoping I will be cleared to join them.

I don't know if it is the delicious water around here, or the extra-hot end of summer that kept everyone in their air conditioned homes, but pregnancy seems almost contagious here. Luckily, everyone is excited.

So, it is about 1% of everyone on campus that is pregnant and probably over 10% of the staff. Maybe I should open a daycare in my office?

No comments: