Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Challenge

I am borrowing this challenge from Jessica Cecak (pronounced Chee-Chauk--who knew?). I've changed a couple of them, but think it will be fun to work on this for the next month. I've needed an excuse to reflect on the past and look to the future in my personal life (not my work life).

So, I'm Kate Skophammer. I was Kate Schmid for 35 years, but met the right man for me and married Roger Skophammer almost four years ago. I started this blog when I lived in Virginia and wanted to keep in contact with people from home. Then Facebook came along and the blog kind of took a backseat. But, I love the freedom to write more and have sporadically kept up with the blog.

Picture--the most recent picture I have is the blog picture of the Skophammer family on Labor Day. We played the annual family softball game and had a great picnic. It was fun to get together, visit and play ball. I'm so lucky to have married into a loving and wonderful family. I couldn't ask for anything better!

Interesting facts: (these are tough)
1. Without ever being a mother, I became an instant Grandma at age 25. Cassie has been a joy of a granddaughter, and since Roger and I have been married, we have two more grandkids, Owen (2) and Delaney (9 months).

2. When I was 5 I had spinal meningitis and was hospitalized for almost 2 weeks. I was in a coma and was close to death. I think of that every time I drive by the hospital in Fargo.

3. My whole life I couldn't wait to move out of North Dakota--and I did. I loved living in Virginia, but when the opportunity arose to move back to North Dakota, I did. I'm adjusting to life in Valley City, but am happy to be so close to all my families!

4. I always wanted to live in New York...actually, I always wanted to be a New Yorker. I was always jealous of my cousins who lived on Long Island. I wanted to live there so bad!

5. I often feel homesick for ODU and Norfolk, Virginia. I had wonderful friends there and I miss them very much.

6. I bought my first brand new vehicle this year! I am still excited every time I drive it!

7. After an almost 6-pack a day habit, I quit drinking soda (pop) pretty much for good. I have an occasional root beer, but no more Diet Coke!

8. I had my first bike for a year before I learned how to ride it. I got it when I was 5 and it took me until almost my 6th birthday to ride it. I used to walk my bike around the neighborhood.

9. I adore reading chick books, like The Shopaholic series. I find joy in reading ludicrous tales of shopping and love.

10. I always wanted to be a teacher. I tried other careers, but here I am teaching. I never thought I could complete a degree high enough to teach at college. Sometimes, I'm still not sure I should be here. And now, I'm seriously considering getting a doctorate!

11. Every time I catch a bit of A&E's Hoarders, I clean out my closet. I hardly have any clothes that I don't wear. My closet seems empty, but I know I wear everything in that closet! Well, except for my college regalia and my Uncle Frank's shop shirt.

12. I have had to say goodbye to some friends whom I considered close at one time. The decisions to sever the ties of friendship have not come easily, but have freed me every time. Some of them I miss often, some not so much, but I've realized that I must do what makes me happy.

13. Roger has taught me so much about patience and seeing the shades of gray in life. I am a better person because of Roger.

14. I was fortunate to know all of my grandparents. I am also lucky to have had two additional grandparents. I miss Sadie, Helmer, Robert and Uncle Frank all the time. I don't see Agnes or My Olga nearly enough.

15. I am terrified of losing my memory. Of all the ailments and afflictions, Alzheimer's and dementia worry me the most. I have an extremely sharp memory and would be sad to see it go. I will keep my mind challenged in the hopes of keeping my memory as long as possible.








Day 1-Introduce, recent picture, 15 interesting facts
Day 2-Meaning behind your blog name
Day 3-Your first love
Day 4-Your parents
Day 5-Your siblings
Day 6-A picture of something that makes you happy
Day 7-Favorite movies
Day 8-A place you’ve traveled to
Day 9-A picture of your friends
Day 10-Something you’re afraid of
Day 11-Favorite tv shows
Day 12-What you believe
Day 13-Goals
Day 14-A picture you love
Day 15-Favorite Quotation
Day 16-Dream house
Day 17-Something you’re looking forward to
Day 18-Something you regret
Day 19-Something you miss
Day 20-Nicknames
Day 21-Picture of yourself
Day 22-Favorite city
Day 23-Favorite vacation
Day 24-Something you’ve learned
Day 25-Put your iPod on shuffle, first 10 songs
Day 26-Picture of your family
Day 27-Pets
Day 28-Something that stresses you out
Day 29-3 Wishes
Day 30-a picture

No comments: