Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Joyful!

That is the word to describe my mood today...joyful. The sun popped out (finally) and I had a fun lunch with my terrific husband. I'm going to see grandkids in a few days and Cassie is coming to stay with us for a week. Then my sister is coming and then the family reunion. I am reminded today of the reasons we wanted to move back to the area...and I am so happy that we did!

Life has been pretty terrific lately. I started my new job on June 2nd and love it! I have met so many nice people. It is wonderful to work in an environment where people go out of their way to help you. ODU was very similar, but there is something about these North Dakotans that seems genuine. I am on a first name basis with almost everyone at both colleges (Dakota College Bottineau and Valley City State University), including those in high up positions. Everyone from the custodial staff to the Dean and Associate Deans has been terrific. My job is fun. I am working with motivated students and I love to help students/people succeed in their goals. Now, if only my MacBook Pro would arrive—then my job would be perfect!

Life in Valley City has been interesting. We head to Fargo once a week, but are finding a life in our little community as well. We adopted a kitty this past weekend. Her name was either hyper or piper, but we’ve renamed her, Tessa (short for Contessa). She is an adorable tabby—very petite. She is vocal and loving, and a little bit skittish. We’ve enjoyed the addition to our apartment. She seems to fit right in!

It has been so much fun to be close to family. We have spent much of our free time with family and driving around North Dakota. Roger has been able to meet several family members and see where the Kristianson farms are. It is always a fun and sad trip to the farms. I miss my grandpa more and more as I live close, but know he would be thrilled with my life. We’ve spent time with Elise and Mike and the grandkids. We are headed to Minnesota for babysitting this weekend. It will be fun to have all three kids to ourselves for a couple days.

My birthday last week started out not so hot. I was not happy about turning 39, but thanks to living in North Dakota, I was able to celebrate with my Auntie Karen, Uncle Harvey, Cousin Harvey and his fiancĂ©, Carey, and Roger. I haven’t had a birthday with the Schneider’s in about 30 years. We laughed and enjoyed the night. I’m grateful for the ability to do that, and on short notice.

I figure I must have done something right in this world to be so fortunate in my life. I hear of horrible co-workers and loneliness and I don’t feel either. With a job I love and Roger by my side, life is good.

I am working on making friends. It is difficult to move to a whole new area of the country, but slowly but surely, I’m making new friends. I’ve reconnected with a few old friends, which is always fun. I’m a bit shy at first, but I’ll get there.

So, for those of you who turn it to see what’s up in my life and were worried after my birthday post, fear not! for life is good.

No comments: